Sunday, May 3, 2009

Learning Another New Language

Although I've been designing my own knitwear basically since I learned to knit at the age of eight, I have just recently tried to write down my designs. Well, it is way harder than I anticipated. Since I never really followed a pattern, or even looked at a written one, I have a hard time understanding it. It is a whole different language, be it written in English or in my native tongue, Hungarian. It's hard for me to master it, even though I am a translator and writer and I speak quite a few other languages. I am lucky enough to have a friend who knows this language very well. She can correct me when I call cables "eights", or I try to say "cast off" instead of bind off.... Until I can write down some patterns, I'll be back with more stories of my learning the knitting language.

No comments:

Post a Comment